Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Austin - The Great Communicator

I meant to post this a month ago and thought I did....well, here it is even if it is late!

My dad once referred to my brother as "The Great Communicator". This was said in the most sarcastic voice. If there was a sarcastic font, it'd be used now. Not to get off on a tangent, but they should create a sarcastic font to go right beside the italics icon. Maybe that will be my million dollar idea and I'll no longer have to set an alarm, pack a lunch and sit at a desk from 8AM-5PM. Just let me dream.

Focus. Back to Austin. His phone is always on silent, he rarely answers and responds to texts after you've found your answer or his girlfriend responded. Needless to say, he's not exactly the greatest communicator when it comes to his family, but apparently he doesn't hesitate to put all of his communication skills into one basket - his school projects.

In a previous blog post, I mentioned him being modest as a mouse, receiving a letter from his school about winning the Outstanding Senior in Broadcast Journalism award. Not only did he win this award, but they also presented him with the Best Sports News Package of the Year at USM award. Last weekend, he won 1st and 3rd place for the Mississippi Associated Press Awards. His resume is stacked full of awards, honors and experience. He really likes to downplay his smarts, but he's kicked some booty and deserves a shout out. Check out this article that mentions all of his recent awards.

Here's to you little brother! Congrats on graduation and may the realization of how much the real world stinks and the realization of college was the life not hit you as hard as it hit me.

I wouldn't know what it's like to be presented with an award, much less, to not have to desperately think of something to put in my Awards and Activities section of my resume. I'm sure it comes as a surprise to all of you, but I'm slightly jealous. Just slightly. I'll stick to my theory and keep telling myself it's ok because I got the looks and he got the smarts.

In all seriousness, Austin, I'm so proud of you and know you have the talent to succeed in any job you pursue. I love you and wish you the best. I leave you with these words of advice:
"Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

No comments: